Monday, October 5, 2009

The downfalls of Facebook

This past Saturday I was in Seattle for a wedding. It was held at the Lake Union Cafe and was absolutely gorgeous. I mean, of course it was gorgeous. Have you seen the place? Amazing lakeside views, beautiful renovations, romantic lighting - the place would definitely have been out of my price range for our wedding. It's even been featured by the Knot in its Best of Weddings magazine for the past three years in a row!

Anyway, I digress. Facebook really has nothing to do with Lake Union Cafe (unless it has a facebook page. I'll have to check on that). Because this wedding was fancy-schmancy, there was a detailed seating chart, which we all know means there was a "we tried to seat you next to your friends but we have too many separated- and step-families here so there will be a few randoms at your table" effort from the bride and groom. Sure enough, six of us knew each other and the last couple were strangers. But then they looked familiar. Very, verrrrry familiar. So of course we introduce ourselves and I say, " you look, very, verrrry familiar. What do you do?" To which they respond, nothing relevant to you, mind your own business (even though they do practice law so it's kind of relevant to me because I practice law; but again. I digress).

So. They actually very kindly explained to me where they practice, which did not ring any bells. Then they said they just got married, and - it felt like slow motion here - the light goes on in my head and even as I'm starting to say the words, I want to yank them out of the air and stuff them back in my mouth: "oh! I was looking at your wedding pictures on Facebook!" Then I proceed to attempt to rescue myself from the "awkward stalker" position: "I mean, Casey (the groom) was tagged in one of those photos so I looked through the entire album, but I look through lots of random people's wedding albums on facebook. BECAUSE I CAN." Not really on that last part, but really? REALLY? I'm pretty sure I just said I'M A LOSER WEDDING ALBUM STALKER AND WILL STALK ANY WEDDING PHOTOS EVER.

I'm not sure we ever got past that defining moment in our relationship for the rest of the night. Needless to say, they left without saying goodbye or nice to meet you. Whatever. Who needs them anyway. I DO. I'M NEEDY, HELP ME.

So now, to try to make myself feel better about that moment, I've been thinking about that portion of the email that's been going around in various versions. Random Thoughts From People 25-35 Years Old or something like that: "Whenever I'm Facebook stalking someone and I find out that their profile is public I feel like a kid on Christmas morning who just got the Red Ryder BB gun that I always wanted. 546 pictures? Don't mind if I do!"

Am I right or am I right? What's your favorite FB stalking experience (because I know you have one!)?

3 comments:

  1. LMAO! This is definitely something I would do! I know I definitely have done my fair share of FB stalking, but I don't think I have a story to top that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, hilarious!! I love it! My favorite facebook stalking is when I can figure a way into one of Jason's ex-gf's profiles, definitely a kid in a candy store moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the exes - either yours or someone else's - are always candy shop moments!

    ReplyDelete